To Install CodeScan you need to do this:
Get Eclipse Helios (3.6) - get the smallest distro you can find:
For example: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/heliossr2
You can also do this into your current eclipse environment if you wish.
Install SalesForce IDE. You can't do much without this :-).
Similarly, install CodeScan Apex PMD Eclipse Plugin:
The site is: http://codescan.villagechief.com/eclipse/
Configure Eclipse PMD.
- Create a PMD ruleset (see the PMD site) or download the VillageChief Apex Code Guidelines
- Go to Windows > Preferences > Apex PMD. Put the location of the rule set into the custom ruleset path name
- Right click on a Project, Folder or File and Click 'Apex PMD' > Run PMD.
- Alternatively, right click on a Project and 'Activate PMD Nature'. This will then check each file when you save them
- Open the 'ApexPMD Outline' to get an overview of violations in the current file